Sunday 23 May 2010

From the sublime to the ridiculous




A recent and eagerly-awaited arrival, I was instantly taken with the Isabella miniature when I came across it on the Studio McVey site. In their design notes they've quoted Blade Runner & Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' as influences for the character, both of which are magnificently prominent in the final sculpt. I've kind of super-imposed a touch of Joss Whedon's 'Firefly' in there too though - she looks like the kind of lady that would never tire of giving Malcolm Reynolds a hard time! Though she'll be a challenge (she's TINY!) I can't wait to paint her and I'm still mulling over schemes at present. My first instinct would be to go typically cyber-punk with grimy leather browns and perhaps some muted reds but I'm leaning more towards an arctic colour scheme: White coat, blonde hair and some turquoisey blues and browns for variety. Watch this space!




....And to the ridiculous it seemed about time I posted a pic of something I'm working on at the moment. So - termegants! They may not be pretty, but what can I say? There's 20 of the lil buggers! If you use your models for gaming as I do there comes a point at which you realise that life's too short and you just need to get guys on the table to field a decent army. These ones I've just about got 'painted' to a sort of minimum satisfactory level for playing games. The Tyranid army I'm putting together for this year's Britcon event needs a minimum of 60 termegants so I've a few more to do before August - I'd better get painting!

1 comment:

  1. Great figure! The McVey range really is very nice. Tons of detail and character - along with plenty of movie influence!

    I still have the Lt. Kara Black figure awaiting paint....someday!

    ReplyDelete