Monday 10 May 2010

Tiny Dancers





As I'm currently engaged in production-line painting Termegants for my ever-growing Tyranid swarm, I'm not doing much quality painting just now. I hope to get some of the better pics of Hive Fleet Askepios up soon but until then I hope you enjoyed the above 'archive' pictures of my Eldar Harlequins.

These guys (and girls) were a joy to paint, primarily down to the uncluttered and dynamic nature of the sculpts. It was also an opportunity for me to try my hand at the signature Harlequin diamond pattern - the turquoise and yellow diamonds that appear on every model. This was acheived by painting a grid with a watered down blue/black ink over a yellow basecoat, then filling in and highlighting (not as easy as it sounds - steady hand required!). I've also tried to use different complimentary and contrasting colours on each model to give them some individuality. The overall effect is perhaps a bit garish but fitting, I think, for a flamboyant dancing troupe that migrates around Eldar Craftworlds pretty much as they please, sitting somewhere between the role of the court jester and the Grim Reaper.

My Eldar army lies in a somewhat fragmented state at present - much like the Eldar civilsation itself! - a shadow of its former glory. The Harlequins were meant to kick start a return to regular game-play for my Eldar but it never quite happened! Long term I still fully intend to get the army back up and running, and as Games Workshop have some new releases planned for them later this year that could be a good opportunity.... the skeins of fate and probability are fickle masters!

1 comment:

  1. Good looking harlequins there! The diamons patterns are very crisp, not an easy thing to accomplish as you say!

    I think garish is certainly fitting for these chaps (and chappettes!), a great opportunity to really go wild and use some bright tones that otherwise aren't often used on many 40k armies!

    ReplyDelete