Monday 6 September 2010

Studio McVey's Isabella - Coloured in!

She's been finished for a couple of weeks and was growing impetulant that she wasn't yet strutting her stuff on the blog, so without further ado, here's my effort at painting Isabella from Studio McVey's miniature range.




One of my aims for this project was to try and hold back the colour scheme. Everything I paint seems to be very bright and brash, with bright red or yellow appearing on almost every model I've ever painted! So I tried to limit my palette a little this time (though some red may have crept in there - ahem, check her scarf, ahem).

The jacket and jeans were both shaded and highlighted from a foundation based on Citadel's Space Wolves Grey. Painting denim was a new challenge, I've tried to go for a 'sandblasted' look here, using thin lines of different shades applied with plenty of water in the mix. I then washed them with Gryphonne Sepia, and repeated the process a couple of times to get the highlights. The jacket, obviously, is space wolves grey blended up to skull white, again shaded with Gryphonne Sepia. However I then did several very thin washes of skull white over the whole outer jacket to lighten the general tone, which also unified the various stages of highlighting quite a bit.

I tried to downplay the brown waistcoat and leathers so that nothing was jumping out and detracting from the face, again a fresh challenge for a 40K painter to try something very feminine, conveying some expression other than a "Grrr I'm gonna kill you!" grimace. The base colour for the skin was Dheneb Stone, shaded with (yet more) Gryphonne Sepia and then highlighted with Bleached Bone and Skull White being gradually added to the mix. I had a go at alluding to her wearing some make-up and cosmetics too, though not sure if you'll be able to spot them! The mascara's the most obvious, but there's also some light blue eyeshadow and a pinkish lipstick on the face, with (hopefully matching) red nail varnish.



I think if you're going to lavish attention on a single model, you're naturally going to spend a lot of time looking at it. In this respect, she was a nice break from slavering beasties!

Have you painted a model recently that was break from the norm for you? If not I'd throughly recommend giving it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment